Thanks for coming to see me (Layla Leigh) on my blog. I hope you like it. I will write about my four months in Europe.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Bats

At Haraxton Manor there is a group of endangered bats. We even got to see some! We saw UK’s smallest bat. I could have made a stuffed animal out of it. It was called the pipistrelle. Its ears were so huge it seemed as though it were the size of her body! There are 18 types of bats in the UK and 11 in Lincolnshire (Lincolnshire is the county where I live). We got to see a few types of bats. The thing with the long eared bat is that it is 1/3 of its size when it is in sleeping mode. In 1981 all of the bats in the UK became protected. When the bats turn three weeks old they start flying. After six weeks the baby bat gets weaned from its mother’s milk. Bat milk is one of the richest types of milk. A normal pipistrelle weighs about 5 grams. That’s about the weight of a small coin. We also got to see upclose the UK’s largest bat. It is called the noctule and weighs up to 40 grams. It was an awesome (very cute) experience to get to see the bats like that.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Layla! I like your bat commentary, you were really paying close attention and took so many good notes! When I find a bat stuffed animal, especially the pipistrelle, I will be sure to pick one up for you as well as myself! :0) By the way, I looked into your the question about bats having hollow bones like birds (I think Brock may have asked this question) and the answer is "no" their bones are just like human bones (filled with marrow)!
    Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the answer, Marnie. That is interesting. My mum, Brock and I loved getting the very special treat of being one of the two families to meet the bats. We loved watching and learning about the bats with you and Laith.

    ReplyDelete