Thanks for coming to see me (Layla Leigh) on my blog. I hope you like it. I will write about my four months in Europe.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Prime Meridian

We went to Greenwich! In Greenwich we went to the Royal Observatory which is the Prime Meridian of the world. The Prime Meridian is the place where East and West split. It was so cool. At one second I was standing on the East, wait, the West. I couldn’t believe it. This is called longitude. Longitude measures how far something is East or West from the Prime Meridian. Longitude lines are the lines on a globe that go from top to bottom, so East to West. Latitude lines go left to right and measure North to South. The equator is 0 degrees latitude and the Prime Meridian is 0 degrees longitude. The Prime Meridian line goes through the UK (that is the place that we saw it in!), France, Spain, part of Africa and Antarctica. The Prime Meridian line also controls time. Everything is based on the Prime Meridian and Greenwich Mean Time. There are different time zones based on longitude. That’s why in my United States home it is 6 hours earlier than in my England home. In all, there are 24 time zones in the world. When we were in Greenwich, we had lunch at The Greenwich Tavern. At The Greenwich Tavern, we ate Fish & Chips. Fish & Chips is popular in England. It was super good. But think about it, I wasn’t eating chips, I was eating French fries! In the restaurant we saw actual puppy dogs laying down while their owners ate lunch. They were big, adorable dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment