Thanks for coming to see me (Layla Leigh) on my blog. I hope you like it. I will write about my four months in Europe.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Opening Ceremony

This morning I went to the Opening Ceremony in the Long Gallery of Harlaxton Manor. The Opening Ceremony is the day all the students have arrived and we celebrate the start of the semester. They call the Opening Ceremony the Convocation Exordium. I got to hold one of the flags (for the 1st battalion of the British Airborne Division who once helped protect Harlaxton) as people walked into the Gallery. Brock played the guitar for The Garden Song. It goes like this: Inch by inch and row by row, we're gonna make this garden grow. All it takes is a rake and hoe and a piece of fertile ground. Inch by inch and row by row, someone bless these seeds I sow, someone warm them from below till the rain comes tumbling down. It was nice to sing. Whenever I said we I mean all of the more than 180 students! My mum got to walk down the aisle in a beautiful robe that was black all around with three maroon stripes on the arms. The person leading the faculty played the bagpipes. We sang "The Star Spangled Banner" and "God Saves the Queen" which is the National Anthem of the United Kingdom.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely tradition! I am sure the ceremoney was lots of fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so neat that you got to hold a flag, Brock got to play the guitar and that your mom was a special part of it too!!

    ReplyDelete